open-source character recognition
GOCR is an OCR (Optical Character Recognition) program, developed under
the GNU Public License.
It converts scanned images of text back to text files.
started the program, and was leading the team of developers on SF, and
after 2010 still manages the package at a (very) low time base.
GOCR can be used with different front-ends, which makes it very easy to port
to different OSes and architectures.
It can open many different image formats, and
its quality have been improving in a daily basis until 2010.
GOCR or JOCR?
The original name is GOCR. It's what is used internally in the sources. But,
when registering the site at Sourceforge, gocr was already taken. So, it's
kind of both as long it will be hosted at SF.
- Main page is at
Uni-Magdeburg (since 2015, SF adds to much web bloat)
- GOCR 0.52 has been released. Little improvements see HISTORY. Not uploaded to SF yet.
- GOCR 0.51 has been released. Little improvements see HISTORY. Not uploaded to SF yet.
- GOCR 0.50 has been released. Not uploaded to SF yet.
- GOCR 0.49 has been released.
- GOCR 0.48 has been released.
I had difficulties to upload to SF download page.
- GOCR 0.46 has been released.
Also the gocr-webpage on SF was temporarely unavailable.
- GOCR 0.44 has been released.
Bugs of last release 0.43 and
speed problems with this lovely gif-images showing very important
product information send to me and most of you or your email filter
are fixed. There are still problems with the threshold value.
Please use -l or wait for one of the next versions.
Its on my ToDo-List.
- December 12, 2006
- GOCR 0.43 has been released.
Bugs of last release 0.42 are fixed and two major features are added
(white on black detection and multiple image support).
Please dont use 0.42 anymore.
- December 5, 2006
- GOCR 0.42 has been released. New progress output.
Bug fixes and recognition engine is partly
replaced by vector version (see ChangeLog for details).
- August 30, 2006
- GOCR 0.41 has been released. It is not a big progress, but
there are lot of bug fixes, tiny improvements and new ideas
which make gocr more useful.
(It's buggy! Please apply the pgm-patch)
- June 24, 2005
- Meet me on the Accessiblity Forum
of the LinuxTag 2005
(website gone) in Karlsruhe/Germany.
The Accessiblity Forum is organized by
Linaccess is a non commercial project supporting free software for
disabled people. Their goal is to make the free operating system Linux an
acceptable and accessible choice for disabled people.
- May 19,
- GOCR 0.40 Win-binary on the download page.
www.about280.com/gocr.html Win-Frontend by Ashleigh Gordon. (gone)
The main engine of GOCR will be rewritten completely.
During that time some characters will be recognized by the new
engine, whereas the rest is still recognized by the old engine.
The number of characters handled by the new engine will increase
stepwise in the next releases, so dont wonder if old solved problems
appear again. Just tell me in that cases. I dont have enough time
to test all the old samples you probably send me.
features will be added. Hopefully GOCR becomes faster and better
within the next months.
- March 13, 2005
- GOCR 0.40 has been released.
- February 13, 2004
- GOCR 0.39 has been released. (try barcode!)
- December 22, 2003
- GOCR 0.38 has been released. Please test it!
- October 14, 2003
- GOCR compiled for Zeta (yellowtab.com gone) by Bernd T. Korz (email@example.com). Do you remember on BeOS?
- August 11, 2002
- GOCR 0.37 has been released. Please test it!
- February 03, 2002
- GOCR 0.3.5 has been released. Get it now!
- DOS/WIN-binary GOCR.EXE 0.3.5p1 available
- October 7, 2001
- libgocr 0.7.2. has been released.
- April 30, 2001
- GOCR was successfully used at the first implementation of RFC 1149 (IP over avian carrier),
which was made by the Bergen Linux Users Group. Go
- April 4, 2001
- The API library, libgocr, is publicly available. This is a first beta version,
(which means that whatever is there will probably work ;). Learn more about it.
BTW: some major Linux distributions are interested in GOCR. Soon in a CD near you!
- February 17, 2001
- GOCR has been divided in two parts: an API library, which supports modules, and a main
module, which is basicly the current code modified to be compatible with the API. The new
API is being done, and I hope that a stable version will be soon available for download.
Meanwhile, if you want to see how the things are going, grab it using CVS.
- December 10, 2000
- New version (0.3.0) is online!
- December 2, 2000
- New design of the web pages, main site moved to Sourceforge.
- We are under major reengineering. Contact the developers (or, better yet,
send to the mailing list) if you want to help. See Support.
to contact the author: see the Support page.
Main page is at
Uni-Magdeburg since 2015.
Old Main page
gOCR at SF dot net
hosted at sourceforge.net since June 2000
(announcement mailing list, etc.), is now used as mirror only and may vanish